RiverCity Church Vision Statement: One Life at a Time
RiverCity’s vision statement was born out of a moment standing on a house RiverCity was constructing for an impoverished family in Vicente Guerro, Mexico. After 5 years pastoring RiverCIty pastor Andrew Huson was standing with several church leaders laying the roofing on this house. He looked around and saw such incredible poverty that it felt overwhelming. Pastor Andrew describes the moment as follows, ”I was so overwhelmed with the needs of Mexico, the world and our city that I stopped and I prayed. ‘God what can we possibly do to make a difference?’ I felt God speak to my heart, ‘Take it one life at a time.’” It was a moment of clarity and the birth of a new vision for RiverCity.
RiverCity Church Values
- Our first desire is to be a people that constantly show gratitude to God. He is the source of all things in our lives and our gratitude is a gift to him.
- Psalm 107:1 Oh, give thanks to the Lord, for He is good!
- The Hebrew word for thanks if Yadah which means to cast blessing upon.
- When we show gratitude to God it blesses him
- Gratitude changes our outlook on life
- Philippians 4:6-7 Don’t worry about anything; instead, pray about everything. Tell God what you need, and thank him for all he has done. 7 Then you will experience God’s peace, which exceeds anything we can understand. His peace will guard your hearts and minds as you live in Christ Jesus.
- When we embrace a spirit of gratitude we see the good instead of focusing on the bad
- When we embrace a spirit of gratitude as see the big picture of what God is doing instead of the small picture of our circumstances
- Gratitude creates a healthy atmosphere among the church
- Recognizing what others contribute is a godly habit
- Recognizing our need for others is a healthy principle
- We all play a role in the church and the Kingdom
- Grace is the only means by which we are saved
- Ephesians 2:8 By grace we are saved through faith, not of works.
- Growing in grace is a lifelong process
- 2 Peter 3:18 But grow in grace and knowledge of our Lord and savior Jesus Christ.
- The closer we grow to Jesus the more we understand grace
- The more we understand grace the more we understand Jesus
- 2 Corinthians 9:6-7 The point is this: whoever sows sparingly will also reap sparingly, and whoever sows bountifully will also reap bountifully. 7 Each one must give as he has decided in his heart, not reluctantly or under compulsion, for God loves a cheerful giver.
- As a blessed people we are called to be generous
- To see our tithe as the minimum and not the maximum of what we give
- To embrace a heart of generosity and not a heart of greed.
- As a blessed people we are committed to generosity through
- Giving to foreign missions
- Giving to community outreach
- Giving to needs of the hungry, sick and bound around the world.
RiverCity Church Principles
- God before people and people before programs
- We do all things with excellence
- We are committed to joy, honor and unity
- We manage with integrity and maximize the use of kingdom resources
- We activate believers to fulfill their call outside the church
- We foster a spirit-filled environment